Sunday, December 10, 2006

issue of 'the book'

See, ever since I could remember, the Bible was supposed to be a source of guidance for us Christians. However, as I started drifting away from the church, I felt that my senses were opened up more and more. I was no longer clouded by what everyone else thought and for once, I could analyze my own understanding of the world around me. One of the issues I had was with the Bible, the source of how all Christians knew about their religion. This pretty sums up what my thoughts are:
pg. 237
"To be fair, much of the Bible is not systematically evil but just plain weird, as you would expect of a chaotically cobbled-together anthology of disjointed documents, composed, revised, translated, distorted and 'improved' by hundreds of anonymous authors, editors and copyists, unknown to us and mostly unknown to each other, spanning nine centuries. This may explain some of the sheer strangeness of the Bible. But unfortunately it is this same weird volume that religious zealouts hold up to us as the inerrant source of our morals and rules for living."

He follows by commenting that not many who believe in the Bible completely have ever read it in its entirety. I, for one, am guilty of this. I mean, I have tried...but I just can't get myself to read through the whole thing. I used to think that it was because I wasn't disciplined enough. What about now? I am fine with not ever having read the entire thing. I, on occassion, still have my grandma or my parents encouraging me to read the Bible more. Often times, I just have to tell them that I will but not really having the heart or the will to go and actually do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home