Wednesday, September 20, 2006

DVD's in China & my room

So, since I'm in China, buying pirated DVDs is probably an inevitable action. I, however, have not gone all out and bought tens of hundreds of DVDs. I, have, however been unable to resist buying these. Honestly, how can anyone resist when they are only 24 RMB??? That's $3!!!! I watched the first one the first night I bought it cause I only wanted to test the quality...honest! *The quality was great...I think China is getting better and better at this whole dao ban (or pirated) DVD stuff* Although...after starting...I didn't have the heart to stop it...so I watched the rest of it. Li Yun also bought this Japanese cartoon DVD...it has 141 episodes...and I am up to episode 13 now. You guys have to watch her sometimes. She reminds me alot of Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes. She is absolutely adorable...in a sort of too-wise-for-her-age sort of way. She is called: 小 丸 子 (Xiao Wan Zi).

So, when I'm not watching cartoons or the Godfather...I am in my room doing Chinese homework...or readings for my other three elective classes. So...in regards to talking about my room...here are some pictures of my apartment. Some of it is still a bit barren. Largely, that's because we really havent gotten around to decorating it much. I've been busy getting settled *which I will be after this Friday when I go pick up my passport and my resident's permit* and my roommate is actually taking her GRE's this coming Friday. So...we are planning on doing some celebrating on Saturday by going around town. Also, on Saturday, we are going to go celebrate Sarah's 21st by going karoking. Not sure where yet, but there's a pretty big karoking place across the street from where I live. As the time goes by, I'll introduce some of the places I regularly go to, like Trust-mart, the Overseas Education building, the four gates we have here at ChuanDa, and some of the local eateries. I have to say that the food is one of the things I like best about Chengdu. It makes me not want to come back to the States. Food is everything to people here. Everywhere you go, you can always catch people eating...not even because they have to eat on the go...but because it's just something you do. :) I'm even getting into that habit. So...as things settle in and I have more time, I will introduce some of the great foods here in Chengdu. In the meantime...my apartment. This first picture is part of my room. It's where I study and blog. They dont really have closets here...rather...they dont have closets here at all. So, I bought myself a portable one. It's working out pretty nicely. The next picture is my bed. I love the windows...gives my room plenty of natural sunlight. I think the only downside to it right now is the fact that right across the street, a new complex is being built. So, every morning, regardless of whether is Mon-Fri or Sat. and Sun., there are always workers working on that building. Next is our living room. Don't ask about the red couch...we didn't pick it out, our landlady did. It's suitable enough. It actually folds out to be a bed...which will work out handy when visitors come. After that is a picture of our porch. We actually have a pretty large porch. It's nice to step outside after dinner and just enjoy the evening breeze and watch people walking around on the streets. That's another thing that's different between Chengdu and Seattle. In Seattle....there are hardly any people out and about after 8 or 9. Here...everyone goes out at night. Li Yun told us that they thought Seattle was strange cause all the people were gone when evening rolled around. Honestly...I really like the night life people have here. Makes going out at night and grabbing a snack at the local outdoor stand really convenient. For example, on the street between West Gate and Trust-mart, people often sell stinky tofu. Tons of people gather around and chomp down these 1 RMB snacks. Also, there are lots of people who sell various things around trustmart at night...including puppies! I will have to take a picture of them sometime and show them all to you. They are absolutely adorable! There are usually 20 or so of them...and they are just week old pups. I asked Li Yun and she says they sell for about 200 RMB...that's only a bit over $20! Some look like they are pure breeds. Li Yun is getting pretty tired of it...but everytime we go...I always spend at least a couple of minutes petting them. People also sell chestnuts on the street. Passing one always makes me think of that Christmas songs..."Chestnuts roasting on an open fire..." Let's see what else...vegetables. People sell alot of those...just alot of things. Chengdu is really great for trekking out in the evening to just experience and try some of the more local "small foods" or xiao ci.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home